Almost all women suffer from cellulite, wherein the skin has an ugly dimpled appearance similar to cottage cheese or an orange peel. Cellulite often appears on the thighs, hips and buttocks. It is not harmful but the unsightly appearance is the reason why people want to get rid of cellulite. It is not easy to eliminate cellulite but there are a number of cellulite reduction treatments that can improve your skin’s condition.
What Causes Cellulite
It is not clear what causes cellulite but changes in the structure and condition of connective tissues in the skin seem to play an important role in the development of cellulite. When connective tissues lose their elasticity, subcutaneous fats tend to bulge against the skin. This results in lumpy skin. Cellulite formation is also affected by age, hormonal changes, poor diet and lack of exercise.
Cellulite Reduction Techniques
1. A healthy diet and good nutrition is essential in cellulite reduction. Be sure to get plenty of fiber and incorporate fresh foods into your diet. Drink plenty of water. This will keep your skin hydrated and supple.
2. Exercise is also necessary. Aerobic exercise improves circulation and flushes out toxins. Strength training keeps your connective tissues healthy and elastic while the muscles keep your skin taut and smooth.
3. Massage is also an effective option for treatment. Gentle massage using cellulite reduction creams can gradually diminish visible cellulite. You can also use a body brush to exfoliate and encourage collagen production. Collagen helps keep the skin firm and supple.
4. Use a cellulite cream to reduce the appearance of unsightly cellulite on your thighs, hips, buttocks and other parts of the body. Not all creams are effective but you will be able to find one that works for you. Some cellulite removal creams can make the skin smooth and tight. In most cases, cellulite s not removed but there is a significant improvement in the appearance of the skin.
5. Women with severe cases of cellulite may opt for laser treatment. This method of cellulite reduction uses light therapy to diminish the lumps on the skin. Laser treatment is expensive but it is an effective way to reduce cellulite, especially when combined with massage, a healthy diet, and regular exercise.
6. Cellulite removal surgery or liposuction is another treatment procedure to reduce cellulite. Although it is not guaranteed to remove cellulite, people with lots of excess body fat may opt for this expensive procedure. In many cases, fat removal is the main goal and cellulite reduction is just an added bonus.
These are some of the common options for cellulite treatment. However, many experts believe that a healthy diet and regular exercise may be the best and most affordable option for cellulite reduction.